Using Facebook Ads for user acquisition in the mobile game space was until very recently a very ineffective strategy. Only a year ago ads were still being shown mainly to Facebook web users where even if the ad helped to raise awareness about the game, it was impossible to install the game directly from the ad.
With Facebook’s new strategy of “mobile first” things have certainly changed, which brings a whole world of new opportunities for mobile game developers. There are more than enough platforms for User Acquisition in the mobile space, but no platform comes even close to Facebook in their targeting capabilities. No one really has as much information about what we do, and what we like than Facebook. So if you are not using Facebook Ads to increase installs of your game, this may be a good time to evaluate your options.
There are mainly 2 ways to create mobile ads on Facebook:
1- Creating an Ad “the old way”. This is the same process you follow to create any Ads.
- Go to Ads Manager
- Create Ad
- Select the URL to your game in the App Store or Google Play as destination
- Define the criteria for your audience making sure you select as part of the criteria, users on mobile platform
2- Creating a Mobile App Install Ad. This is a little bit more complex but the ads are integrated seamlessly into the users’ newsfeeds with a very clear call to action to install the game which tends to result in better conversion rates. See some video testimonials
- Register your app with facebook. This does not mean you have to implement Facebook Login or integrate your app with Facebook; you need an app on Facebook to get an app ID. If you already have one, you can skip this step
- Use the App Dashboard to add details and images
- Build and launch your ads
- Setup your app to measure mobile app install ads. Download the Facebook SDK for iOS or the Facebook SDK for Android and include the install publishing code
Confused? Facebook has a simple tutorial to help you.